Category Development Manager- HEBJob ID SAN00000712 Date posted 02/27/2019
- Manages the development of a Southern Glazer's category management model/methodology for assessing the performance of the category in the retailer’s portfolio; and economic value of the category to the business and the development and application of business intelligence tools to engage strategic retailers.
- Works to secure a high level engagement with key strategic customers to secure a role within these customers to guide and direct the business as it relates to sales initiatives, promotional activity, shelf presentation, business intelligence tools, replenishment initiatives and compliance measurement activities driving retailer objectives based on account strategies consistent with Southern Glazer’s account strategies.
- Partners with state leadership to identify and solicit new trade accounts, upgrade the Southern Glazer's role within existing trade accounts, or increase the Southern Glazer's influence in the retailer’s category management decision making process. Sets objectives, developing strategies, and measures results.
- Monitors and directs all trade development activities and reports findings to leadership. Identifies accomplishments, opportunities, deficiencies, and recommends alternatives. Secures approval and implements agreed upon actions.
- Evaluates data needed to support Business Development activities within the state for all on and off premise accounts. Makes data/software recommendations and assessments to state leadership to support the acquisition of syndicated data sources to support analytics within the state.
- Directs the selection, evaluation, and distribution of consumer/market data resources within the state to support a fact-based approach to sellingBusiness Development activities. Monitors use and acceptance of resources as well as developing proprietary tools for the dissemination and interpretation of market data from various sources.
- Surveys “best practices” for category management within the industry and recommends alternative actions to state and executive management for consideration. Secures and directs Category Management certification processes as a means of properly credentialing the state’sBusiness Development team.
- Provides Southern Glazer's field personnel with tools for: comparisons of retailer versus market category performance; analysis of business opportunities/gaps; establishment of future category performance measures; and development of account goals/objectives. Monitors implementation thereof and reports findings to state leadership.
- Develops Southern Glazer's state standards for schematics, product displays, merchandising and compliance in the field. Monitors performance to standards and ensures processes support selling activities and/or efficiency initiatives for cost to serve reductions across strategic accounts.
- Responsible for developing new ways to enhance customer service through effective delivery of: programming, promotions, pricing, product specifications and information to facilitate efficient inventory levels and product flow.
- Partners with Southern Glazer's suppliers to identify and prospect Off Premise chain account opportunities such as joint analytical efforts, tool development or standardized approaches to enable off the shelf activities in support of accounts across a broad spectrum of supplier and retailer engagements.
- Resolves account problems. Responds to requests, investigates account questions/concerns, and removes barriers/hurdles that may impact Southern Glazer’s ability to provide high quality customer service and analytics.
- Works with key strategic accounts to enhance the operational relationship to drive industry standard EDI and funds transfer initiatives. These initiatives will include appropriate account cost reduction drivers to enable delivery efficiency and improve in-stock rates.
- Manages the selection, development, motivation, and retention of the trade development associates within the state and works with corporateBusiness Development Leadership to ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures and enable enhanced higher level analytical engagements with strategic accounts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong communication skills – verbal, persuasive and written.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Platforms – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email Software (Lotus Notes and/or Outlook)
- Able to analyze Market trends and IRI data
- Strong supervisory skills to direct and control the quantity and quality of work with time frames
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent thereof in related experience.
- Strong background in category/brand management including but not limited to market research, merchandising, product promotions, and/or supplier/vendor relations.
- 7 years field experience in selling alcoholic beverages or equivalent work experience selling at retail or wholesale.
- Preferred educational training in sales, marketing, and or business management.
- Advanced degree (such as an MBA) considered a plus.
- Travel expectations 30 to 40% of the time.
- Physical demands with activity or condition existing a considerable amount of time include sitting and typing/keyboarding using a computer (i.e., keyboard, mouse, and monitor) or adding machine
- Physical demands may include walking, carrying, reaching, standing, and stooping
- May require occasional lifting/lowering, pushing, or pulling up to 25lbs
Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law, and as such affirms in policy and practice to support and promote the concept of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, in accordance with all applicable federal, state and municipal laws. The Company prohibits discrimination on other bases such as ancestry, medical condition, or marital status under applicable laws. We make reasonable accommodations to meet our obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. Candidates should possess the right to work in the United States, as it is not the general practice of Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits to sponsor individuals for work visas.
Have an HR comment, question, or need more information about career opportunities at Southern Glazer's Wine & Spirits? Click here.